Whether you’re planning to spend the summer enjoying peace and quiet or entertaining guests after a year apart, there’s never been a better time to show your backyard a little TLC. At Rob Rice Homes, we intentionally build on lots that are pre-selected to accommodate beautiful landscaping and to give homeowners the opportunity to create a little backyard oasis. Follow these handy tips to make your backyard a place you’ll love this summer.
- Add An Outdoor Rug
While al fresco furnishings can be tricky in the often-soggy Pacific Northwest, an outdoor rug can provide a homey touch without much hassle. Whether you use it under patio furniture or as a picnic blanket on the lawn, an outdoor rug made of recycled plastic or polypropylene is an attractive, resilient and functional piece that will make your backyard feel a little cozier.
Elevate your space with one of these chic and practical options:
- Seville Eco-Friendly Recycled Rug, FabHabitat
- Cape Brockton Indoor-Outdoor Rug, Bed Bath & Beyond
- Hampton Bay Star Moroccan Rug, Home Depot
- Banish The Bugs
Here in Thurston County, we don’t have nearly the same issues with bugs as other parts of the country, but that doesn’t mean gnats, mosquitos and flies aren’t a nuisance. Citronella candles around the perimeter of your seating area can help keep pests away from your food, fire or friends, while providing a warm glow and nostalgic aroma.
Try one of these locally made candles:
- Scout Forth Citronella Camp Candle, Good + Well Supply Co.
- Citronella Apothecary Glass Candle, Big Dipper Wax Works
- Citronella Mason Jar Candle, Dandle’s Candles
- Try A Perimeter Of Plants
Potted plants situated on stands, hanging from trees or posted along the perimeter of your backyard can create a natural privacy screen and make your yard feel even more like your own personal retreat. Hanging baskets and grow bags can add visual interest to your fence, while also serving as a fun seasonal project.
Thurston County vendors who can help:
- Eastside Urban Farm & Garden in Olympia
- Jason’s Greenhouse in Yelm
- Nature’s Tapestry Landscapes in Olympia
- Update Your Light Fixtures
Whether updating your home’s backyard flood lights, installing path lighting or adding a hanging light over the back door, refreshing your light fixtures can transform your outdoor space. Consider adding stake spotlights or a string of bulbs to your garden to add a magical atmosphere to those gorgeous summer sunsets.
A few illuminating ideas:
- Motion Sensor Dusk To Dawn Sconce, Overstock.com
- Davis 11’ Black Solar LED Landscape Light Set, Lamps Plus
- Enbrighten Bistro String Lights, Lowe’s
Or, if you’d prefer to professionally design and update your home’s outdoor lighting, you can get a free consultation from our partners at Olympia Lighting Center.
Build Or Buy Raised Garden Beds
Raised garden beds are a great way to provide your plants with the precise conditions they need to thrive. Whether you choose to buy or build yours, a raised garden bed is both an attractive addition to a yard and a fun summer hobby.
Thurston County vendors who carry raised beds or supplies:
- Bark & Garden Center in West Olympia
- Hefty Harvest Garden Supply in Lacey
- Tractor Supply Co. in Olympia
- Light Up The Night With A Fire Pit
Treat your family to backyard s’mores or make a chilly night more enjoyable with a fire pit at home! Because Thurston County has strict rules about what constitutes a legal recreational fire, it’s important to keep your pit small and tidy. Portable above-ground fire pits fall under that description and can make even the smallest yard feel just a bit bigger.
We love these cute and easy-to-use models:
- Northland Grill Fire Pit, Tractor Supply Co.
- Lyle Driftwood Outdoor Fire Pit Table, American Home Furniture
- Four Seasons Courtyard Fire Pit, Wilco Farm Store
- Add Some Furniture
You don’t need a huge backyard to enjoy the benefits of outdoor furniture. As we said before, it’s important to keep local weather in mind when making your choice. Removable cushions and weather-resistant materials can help extend the lifespan of your outdoor furniture and keep it looking fresh for years to come.
Try these Pacific Northwest weather-friendly options:
- Outsunny Two Person Double Glider Chair With Table, Overstock.com
- Edgemere 5-Piece Patio Conversation Set, Lowe’s
- Gray All Weather Malique Outdoor Loveseat & Coffee Table, Cost Plus World Market
- Invest In A Lawn Game
With bars and restaurants moving outside over the past year, Americans have rediscovered their love of backyard games, including corn hole, ladder toss and giant versions of tabletop games like Jenga and Yahtzee.
These games are ready-made fun:
- Maranda Ladderball Pro Steel Game, Dick’s Sporting Goods
- Giant 4 Connect In A Row, Yard Games
- Classic Cornhole Set, Home Depot
Looking For A New Backyard?
Would the grass look greener in a new home? We’d love to help you find the Rob Rice Home of your dreams. Our luxury homes here in Thurston County are in short supply, but our pre-sale list allows interested parties a first-priority chance to know when homes become available. Connect with us to learn more.